Yume Nikki Dream Diary is here, now with a Version 2.0 update that brings it closer to what most of us expected! Here I’ve documented a walkthrough of (most) of what you need to do, what effects do, the endings, and other information.
Feel free to comment to ask any questions or share info! I’ve provided links to some key terms in the Yume Nikki Wiki, feel free to get lost in the wiki as well, it’s quite enjoyable. I’m trying to link all the references to the original game, as they’re a rather significant amount of the enjoyment to be had in the game, so point out any I’ve missed as well!
For purpose of clarity, the full name Yume Nikki Dream Diary will be used when referring to this game, and Yume Nikki alone will be used to refer to the original game by Kikiyama.
Title: Yume Nikki -Dream Diary-
Platform: PC (Steam)
Languages: English, Japanese, French,Italian, German, Spanish, Korean, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Traditional Chinese, Portuguese
Release date: 2018-02-23
Developer: Kadokawa Corporation
Length: About 4 hours
As a quick overview, 2.0 adds:
- The Sewers, Block World, and Snow World, which are all connected
- The Sewers is mostly a connection to existing worlds, plus a new puzzle/jellyfish is in it
- Block World is accessed via The Sewers and is a puzzle blocking access to Snow World
- Snow World has the Hat and Scarf effect, and access to Pink Sea/Poniko/Uboa
- Most existing worlds are untouched beyond The Sewers connections
- Two new effects, Hat and Scarf and Uboa Mask
- Interact with Poniko’s desk while using the Lantern after triggering the Uboa Event (lights out) in Poniko’s room, then chase Uboa to get the Uboa Mask
- Get Hat and Scarf in Snow World from Mafurako
- Uboa’s Trap room added per above, it looks amazing
- Four new subsections of The Wilderness added via a Lost Woods/looping maze puzzle including the Aztec Rave Monkey, some purple pylons, the hot springs room, and a lake you freeze to get some concept art
- A new NES minigame added, Witch Adventure, referencing the Flight of the Witch event
- This is found by finding the cat in The Sewers, then meeting it again at the roof of The Mall
- The strangest addition, Madotsuki’s apartment now has a bathroom in the bottom corner, accessible only in the dream world. It has no apparent function.
All in all, 2.0 is a fantastic update that brings the game a fair bit more in line with the original and addresses several concerns of fans!
What is Yume Nikki -Dream Diary-?
As a heads-up in case you haven’t purchased the game yet (or haven’t started it), Yume Nikki is something closer to a “reimagining” of the original than typical remake or sequel.
Many are disappointed by what they find (as, well, was I) so it’s best to be aware of what you’re going in for. That said, if you’re a big enough fan of Yume Nikki, you’ll probably dive right in and play it like I did so I figured I would make a guide to help those who have already committed to it.
Continue reading “Yume Nikki -Dream Diary- Guide”